David Truman – Private Client Partner
Capital gains tax planning is essential for anyone intending to dispose of assets. It is important to obtain advice prior to both the disposal and acquisition of significant assets.
When working with you as your trusted advisor, we will discuss your assets and their future strategy, to ensure at all times you are considering the implications of the ultimate disposal of the asset.
Capital Gains Tax Planning considerations
- When you are contemplating establishing a business, to ensure it is structured in the most tax-efficient manner and to ensure that it qualifies for available reliefs in the future.
- When you are considering purchasing significant assets.
- As soon as you begin to contemplate the disposal of assets.
- In the case of businesses, throughout the life of the business, to consider planning for the eventual exit from or disposal of the business.
- At any point when you are considering purchasing buy-to-let or investment properties.
- In circumstances where you may be contemplating owning multiple properties for your personal occupation.
- If you are considering the incorporation of your unincorporated business.
- When you are considering coming to, or leaving the UK.
- Prior to the tax year end, to ensure you are utilising your annual capital gains tax exemption.
- If you are contemplating divorce.
- At any point where you become aware that you have a limited future life expectancy.
Capital Gains Tax Planning services
- Calculation of potential capital gains tax, payable as a consequence of a disposal.
- Advice on the structuring of acquisitions, to ensure they are efficient from a capital gains tax perspective.
- Advising on the timing of disposals.
- Advising on the availability of entrepreneur’s relief, in respect of the disposal of business assets.
- Advice on the potential gifting of assets and availability of reliefs.
- Guiding on the availability of Principal Private Residence Relief.
- Advice in connection with the deferral of capital gains tax, by investing in tax-efficient investments.
Contact Menzies Private Client team
To speak to a partner or for more information about the private client services we offer to individuals, please contact one of the Menzies LLP offices or complete our contact from below.