HomeInsightsBlogTemporary tariff regime for no deal Brexit scenario published

Insights

Blog // 13/03/2019

Temporary tariff regime for no deal Brexit scenario published

Beware corporate interest restrictions for property businesses

Important update for Transport and Logistics // Manufacturing Businesses


HMRC has taken further steps following recently announced measures that include Transitional Simplified Procedures, to introduce measures to assist businesses in the event of a no deal Brexit.

HMRC has today (as of 13th March 2019) published details of a temporary tariff regime ahead of the vote on a no deal. The temporary regime is intended to apply for 12 months and HMRC would closely monitor the effect of the tariffs on the economy.


What does the new scenario say?

In summary, UK businesses would not pay customs duties on many goods being imported to the UK should a no deal scenario occur. These measures would cover 87% of the UK’s total imports by value. The remaining 13% would still be subject to tariffs and this represents some foods, automotive, ceramics, fertilisers, fuel and goods from developing countries.

These proposed measures, whilst maintaining the Government’s priority is to secure a deal, demonstrate HMRC’s commitment to preparing for all possibilities and to ease the burden on UK businesses. Additionally, it has been confirmed that a temporary approach will be taken to avoid new checks and controls on goods at the Northern Ireland land border. These temporary import tariffs will therefore not apply to goods crossing from the Republic of Ireland into Northern Ireland.

Finally, these tariffs will apply equally to all trading partners, except those that the UK has a free trade agreement in place with, plus around 70 developing countries that will benefit from preferential access to the UK market.

Read more about the details of temporary rates via HMRC.

More on Transitional Simplified Procedures (TSP).


We recommend that steps are now taken to address the above points. Should assistance or further information be required, please contact your Menzies advisor who can provide support.

Manufacturing

Caroline Milton – +44 (0)1372 366173 // CMilton@menzies.co.uk
Andrew England – +44 (0)1372 366168 // AEngland@menzies.co.uk

Transport and Logistics Contacts

Andrew Galliers – +44 (0) 1489 566745 // AGalliers@menzies.co.uk
Sophie Said – +44 (0)1784 497 188 // SSaid@menzies.co.uk

Print Friendly, PDF & Email


RELATED CONTENT
  • Is your profit data misleading you? Part 1 – valuable insight

    Tim Dunn – Strategic Advisory Partner Developing good products and services is important, but it is not everything – commercially there are a number of pieces of the jigsaw that need to come together if a business is to achieve its potential and fulfil the owner’s dreams. Ultimately, profitability must be a key consideration – […]

    Print Friendly, PDF & Email
    READ MORE >
  • Is your profit data misleading you? Part 2 – applying to the business

    Tim Dunn – Strategic Advisory Partner In part one we examined the data challenges that face many SMEs and the power in defining what data you need and the difference between detailed analysis verses meaningful analysis. Now it’s time to consider what parts of your business you want to understand better. Stage 1 – define […]

    Print Friendly, PDF & Email
    READ MORE >
  • The customer is king but are they delivering value?

    Chris Maloney – Strategic Advisory Partner A business must have customers to succeed, right? Well yes, of course, but business owners should be asking whether these are the right type of customer. This is a question that should certainly go beyond the obvious “do they pay on time?” and the focus should be on further […]

    Print Friendly, PDF & Email
    READ MORE >